The Castles of Burgundy
In StockIn-Store Pickup Only
Buy This Product
The game is set in the Burgundy region of High Medieval France. Each player takes on the role of an aristocrat, originally controlling a small princedom. While playing they aim to build settlements and powerful castles, practice trade along the river, exploit silver mines, and use the knowledge of travellers.
The game is about placing settlement tiles into the princedom. Every tile has a function that starts when the tile is placed. The princedom itself consists of several regions, each of which demands its own settlement tile.
The core game mechanism involves two dice. The pips show the kind of action the players are allowed to do (example: roll a 2 and a 5: using the 2 the player buys a watch tower and places it on a 5 city tile which triggers the function of the tower with additional advantages).
It is also possible to influence the dice, so the player is not completely subject to luck.
The rules include basic and advanced versions.
This game is #14 in the Alea big box series.
- 164 six-sided tiles
- 42 goods tiles (square, 7 in each of 6 colours)
- 20 "Silverlings" (eight-sided)
- 30 worker tiles (square)
- 12 bonus tiles (square, 1 small and 1 large in each of 6 colours)
- 4 victory pieces (with 100 or 200 points in each of the 4 colours)
- 8 playing pieces (2 in each of the 4 player colours)
- 9 dice (2 in each of the 4 player colours plus 1 white one)
- 1 game board
- 6 player boards (double-sided, 4x No. 1, 1 each of Nos. 2-9)
For greater replay value, the game contains player boards numbered 1–9 (with four of board 1, to give new players an even playing field).
- boiteajeux.net, turn based.
- BGID: 84876
- Category: Dice, Medieval, Territory Building
- Time: 90 minutes
- Designer: Stefan Feld
- Year: 2011
- Artist: Julien Delval, Harald Lieske
- Family: Alea Big Box, Country: France
- Mechanics: Dice Rolling, Set Collection, Tile Placement
- Ages: 12 and up
- Publisher: alea, Ravensburger Spieleverlag GmbH